TikTok videos are some of the most watched content on the internet. In fact, they're so popular that they often rank higher than traditional YouTube videos on search engine results pages (SERPs). This is because TikTok has its own unique algorithm that favors videos with high engagement rates.
If you want your TikTok videos to rank high in SERPs, you need to optimize them for SEO. In here, you’ll learn:
- A brief overview of TikTok
- How to optimize your TikTok videos for SEO success
- Some FAQs about TikTok SEO
Keep in mind that SEO is always changing, so this overview may only be applicable for a while, but it gives you a good starting point!
The Rise of TikTok
In a few years, TikTok has become one of the most well-known social media platforms. But where did it come from? Remember, you can only have well-optimized videos if you know the app well.
So, here it goes.
TikTok was launched initially in 2016 as Musical.ly in the US. It was a lip-syncing app that allowed users to create and share short videos set to music. The app quickly gained popularity, especially with Gen Z users.
In 2017, Musical.ly was acquired by Chinese company ByteDance. Then merged with another video-sharing app that it owned called Douyin. In 2018, the app was relaunched as TikTok and quickly rose to prominence.
How TikTok Works
TikTok allows users to make and share videos.
Here's how to create your TikTok video:
- To create a video, you first need a smartphone. Then download TikTok app.
- Once you open the app, you'll see a feed of videos from other users that you can watch. Just click on the "+" sign in the bottom center.
- From there, you can either upload a pre-recorded video from your phone's camera roll or record a new video directly in the app.
- Once you've recorded your video, you can edit the video by adding filters, effects, or music.
TikTok also offers a duet feature, which allows you to record yourself lip-syncing or to dance with another user's video. Whether you're into dance videos, comedy sketches, or educational content, there's something for everyone on TikTok.
Tips to Optimize Your TikTok Videos for SEO
If you're one of the millions who have caught TikTok fever, you might wonder how to use the platform to promote your business or brand. After all, with over 800 million monthly active users, TikTok offers a huge potential audience for your content. And, thanks to its unique format and algorithm, TikTok is a way to get your content seen by everyone.
But how do you make sure that the right people are seeing your TikTok videos? The answer is simple: implementing TikTok SEO strategy.
Here's a quick overview of TikTok SEO strategies you need.
Use the Right Keywords in Your Titles and Descriptions
In the context of SEO, keywords are the phrases that users are most likely to search for when looking for videos like yours. Including these keywords in your video titles and descriptions makes it more likely that your videos will appear in users' search results. And when your videos appear in users' search results, you'll get more views.
It's as simple as that.
There are ways to do keyword research, including:
- Use Tiktok's own search bar. Start by typing in a phrase that is relevant to your video topic, and see what autocompletes. These are the words and phrases that Tiktok thinks users are most likely to search for when looking for videos like yours.
- Look at the titles and descriptions of popular videos in your niche. What words and phrases do they use? You can look in Google search and see some words. For example, if you make videos about cooking, some of the keywords you might want to use are "cooking," "recipes," "food," "kitchen," etc.
- Use Google Keyword Planner. Enter a word or phrase into the tool, and it will show you a list of related keywords along with their monthly search volume.
When including keywords in your titles, try to use them at the beginning of the title. As for descriptions, try to include 1-2 relevant keywords without making it sound forced or unnatural.
Optimize Your Thumbnails
Your thumbnail is like a mini movie poster—it's what will attract people to click on your video over someone else's. So make sure yours is high-quality and catches attention!
A great thumbnail should be relevant to the video content and include some call-to-action so viewers know what they're going to get when they watch it. You can use free online tools to create great thumbnails quickly and easily.
Use Hashtags Strategically
Hashtags are keywords or phrases that begin with the "#" symbol. They're used to categorize content and make it easier for people to find what they're looking for. Hashtags can be used on any social media platform, including Tiktok.
Some tips for using hashtags include:
- Do your research: take some time to research popular and relevant hashtags before adding them to your videos.
- Be relevant: make sure that the hashtags you're using accurately describe the content of your video. Irrelevant hashtags will be effective, but they'll also turn off users who come across your video because of them.
- Mix it up: use different sets of hashtags in every single one of your videos. Mix things up from video to video to keep things fresh and avoid being labeled as spammy.
- Use trending hashtags and popular challenges: taking part in popular challenges is a great way to get your videos seen by more people. You can find popular challenges by searching on TikTok or looking at the "For You" page.
- Monitor your results: pay attention to which hashtag combinations seem to be working well for you and adjust accordingly. Keep track of how many views, likes, and comments each video gets so that you can see which hashtag combinations are driving the most engagement.
Keep in mind that you're limited to 30 hashtags per video. So, search keywords, then add hashtags to your videos in the caption before you post them, or add them as comments after you've posted the video.
Create Engaging Content
Of course, no matter how well you optimize your videos for SEO, if your content isn’t engaging, people aren't going to want to watch it. So, ensure your videos are creative, entertaining, and informative.
Some ideas you need to create engaging yet educational content include:
- Q&A videos
- How-to videos
- Behind-the-scenes footage or get-ready-with-me videos
- Day in the life videos
- Product demonstrations
- Dance videos
- Collaboration videos
- Challenge videos
- Customer testimonials
- Music videos
- Haul videos
These are just a few ideas for the types of videos you can create on TikTok. The sky's the limit to creativity, so have fun exploring and experimenting with different video ideas until you find ones that resonate with you and your followers.
Promote Your Videos
TikTok may be the main focus of your SEO strategy, but you should still pay attention to other channels. Promoting your videos across multiple channels—such as your website, blog, email list, and social media accounts—can help increase their reach and boost their chances of being seen by potential customers.
When you post them on other channels, be sure to include links to your TikTok profile so that viewers can easily find all of your videos in one place. You can also run ads on TikTok with influencers who have a large following on the platform.
Overall, if you want to promote your brand on search engines, you'll need to create a strong SEO strategy. By doing your research, creating compelling content, using effective hashtags, and promoting your videos effectively, you can reach new customers and grow your business—all while having some fun in the process!
TikTok SEO FAQs
TikTok is the block's hottest new social media platform, and businesses are clamoring to get in on the action. But with any new platform comes a learning curve, and TikTok is no different. That's why we're here to answer some frequently asked questions about TikTok Search Engine Optimization.
Keep reading to learn more!
What is TikTok SEO?
In short, TikTok SEO is the process of optimizing your content so that it appears as high as possible in TikTok's search query results. Like with any other search engine, the higher your content appears in TikTok's search results, the more likely users are to see and engage with it.
Since engagement is key on TikTok, that makes TikTok SEO a vital part of any successful marketing strategy.
How often should I post on TikTok?
There is no set rule for how often you should post on TikTok, but generally speaking, it's a good idea to post at least once a day. This will help keep your brand top of mind and ensure that as many people are seeing your content as possible. Of course, quality is more important than quantity, so don't sacrifice quality for the sake of posting more often.
How do I optimize my profile?
Optimizing your profile is just as important as optimizing your content when it comes to TikTok SEO. Make sure your profile photo is clear and eye-catching and that your bio includes relevant keywords and hashtags. You should also include a link to your website or another social media platform so users can easily find more of your content.
What are some common mistakes with TikTok SEO?
TikTok is a powerful platform with a lot of potential for businesses—but only if you're better off putting in the work to optimize your content for the platform's search algorithm.
Avoid these common TikTok SEO mistakes:
- Not optimizing your profile
- Not posting consistently enough
- Posting irrelevant or repetitive content
- Not engaging with other users
- Not using keywords
Try TikTok SEO!
There's no doubt about it – TikTok is here to stay. And as a business owner, that presents a unique opportunity to reach a large and engaged audience.
If you're searching for an edge in the incredibly competitive social media landscape, you should try TikTok SEO. Our team at SEOLeverage has put together a comprehensive guide on getting started with this unique platform, and we're always here to help you if you need it.
Start getting more views – and ultimately more customers – in no time!