Google has rolled out its December 2022 link spam update, making waves all over the internet. This update is causing quite a stir among website owners and SEO professionals. As such, many wonder what this update entails and how they can prepare for it.
If you’re in the same boat, this blog post is for you. Keep reading to learn everything you need about the December 2022 link spam update, such as:
- What does the update do?
- How will this update affect my website?
- How can I prepare for the update?
Table of Contents
If you have been affected by the Google Search’s Helpful Content December 2022 Update we have an article with tips to recover traffic.
Link spam is a malicious technique used to manipulate the rankings on search engine results pages (SERPs). Also, it involves using low-quality, spammy links to generate fake search traffic. These links are often placed in comment sections and guest posts.
Yet, link spam does not increase search rankings. Likewise, it fools search engine algorithms into thinking there’s more relevance to a page than what’s there.
As such, link spam violates Google’s web admin guidelines against obtaining links primarily to boost rankings. And so it can lead to harming a website’s organic search results performance.
Fortunately, SEOLeverage™️ can identify and remove link spam from your website. Its advanced spam detection system scans websites and analyzes incoming and outgoing links. This way, you can detect spam directly before it affects your rankings.
What Is This December 2022 Link Spam Update About?
The December 2022 Google link spam update is all about combatting link spam. Likewise, it improves how Google detects links meant to manipulate search engine results.
To do this, the new algorithm will identify sites buying links to deceive search engine users. Any website found guilty of selling or buying links could face penalties from Google.
SEOLeverage™️ can help with this issue by providing their ‘Leverage Links’ service. This service includes 20 pre-screened links and monthly reporting of your progress. It also post-processes all your links to meet Google’s quality content.
With SEOLeverage™️’s service, you can avoid the flags by the Google link spam update. And instead, you can focus on building links that benefit your website’s traffic. The team will also deep dive into your current linking profile to identify unnatural links patterns.
Overall, the Google link spam update protects users from deceptive or manipulative practices. Meanwhile, it will reward websites that use ethical linking tactics.
How Can I Prepare?
With the proper steps and guidance, you can follow the best practices on incoming and outgoing links.
To start, ensure that your website follows Google’s webmaster guidelines. This means avoiding manipulative link-building tactics such as:
- Buying or selling links
- Posting comments or guest post spam
- Engaging in any other kind of link-based manipulation attempt
At SEOLeverage™️, we understand how important it is to keep up with the latest algorithm and trends in SEO. That’s why we offer services that ensure you stay ahead of the game when the algorithm changes.
Also, here are six ways you can take to prepare yourself for Google’s link spam update:
- Monitor your backlink profile. Tracking your backlink profile helps identify any potential issues with manipulated links quickly. It also lets you understand what kind of sites are linking to yours. From there, you can assess whether they add value or not.
- Conduct an SEO audit. SEO audits check for internal issues such as duplicate content. Thin content on pages that don’t meet quality standards is also identified. Aside from that, you can inspect broken links and external issues, such as unnatural links.
- Optimize your internal links. Ensure that all internal links point only to relevant pages. Likewise, avoid using stop words (words like “the” or “of,” which do nothing for SEO) in anchors texts.
- Pass outgoing links properly. Linking out to other websites shows Google that other people trust your information. But ensure these websites are trustworthy sources. Doing so will ensure that you don't get penalized.
- Tag affiliate links appropriately. If you have affiliate links present on your website, tag them correctly. This way, search engines won't count them towards ranking factors while tracking clicks.
- Use natural anchor text and keyword-rich content. Try not to over-optimize anchor texts if possible. Focus more on creating keyword-rich content instead. Doing so will help search engines better understand what your website is about without relying on exact match keywords.
By taking these six steps and SEOLeverage™️'s services, you'll have everything to prepare.
The December 2022 Google Link Spam Update will have a major impact on SERPs across the internet. By understanding what this update entails and taking proactive steps to ensure that your website complies with Google’s webmaster guidelines, you can reduce your chances of being penalized by this new algorithm update.
So don’t wait—start preparing today. With a little bit of research, you can be ready when the great December 2022 link spam update rolls around. Likewise, book a call with SEOLeverage™️ today to help you with your links and audits.